[notification type=”alert-danger” title=”HAY”]
If you are not well on your way with your semester project SEE ME TODAY IN CLASS. It’s critical that you have a topic chosen TODAY.[/notification]
Creativity – Wayfinding
- Signs are an important part of what’s called “wayfinding”.
- Choose 5 signs and re-interpret their meaning to be something it probably isn’t.
- Be prepared to present/explain them to the class.
In-Class 5-1: Card Sorting
- View the PDF of Card Sorting process (attached).
- Conduct card-sorts in-class per instructions.
In-Class 5-2: WordPress Content Types
By this time you should have:
- Purchased your domain name
- Have successfully installed WordPress.
By the end of class you will:
- Understand the difference between Posts and Pages in WordPress
- Understand how to create content
- Understand basic discussion settings
- Understand how to install atheme
- Understand WordPress widgets
- Understand how to install a plugin
- First Steps with WordPress
- The Best 40+ Free WordPress Themes Available in 2017
- Easy Google Fonts Plugin and Support Video
In-Class 5-3: Install Analytics Engine
- Get a Google account (or use one you already have).
- Log in to your site (http://www.________.com/wp-admin/) and from the Plugins menu, search for and install a Google Analytics Plugin (I recommend Monster Insights).
- Set up the Google Tracking Code for your website under “Settings” for Monster Insights in the plugin dashboard to add the tracking code to your site.
- Set up the Google XML Sitemaps Plugin.
5-1: Card Sort
Create a card sort for your site.
- Get at least 10 people to complete your card-sort.
- Test 5 people with an open card sort, and 5 people with a closed card sort (how to conduct card sorts)
- Summarize your data from the card-sort (see Raw Data in appendix, P. 32)
SUBMIT FOR CREDIT:
- Turn this data in – upload a spreadsheet OR add a Google Sheets link in e-Learning
- Write a short summary of your results. Include:
- Reason you chose the “category” name per category
- Decide which items (cards) you would put in which category of your IA based on your results
- Any qualitative feedback used in making your decisions as to why particular items belonged in that category
- Recommendations for IA/Navigation based on the feedback (see pp. 3-5)
- Turn this documentation in – upload a text document OR add a Google Docs link in e-Learning
5-2: Reading: Design For Real Life
- Read Chapters 1-4 of Design For Real Life
- Answer these:
- How can human-centered design help create amazing customer experiences?
- Name and define 3 basic human-centered design principles and values and how they’re applied in practice.
- What exactly is the real difference between empathy and compassion in design?
5-3: Reading: Elements of Content Strategy
- Read Ch 1, 2, and pp. 55-68 (from Strategy And Design to Planning For Content Management) of Elements of Content Strategy
- Name and define the basics of the 7 elements of Good Content.
- Create a Content Template (pp. 64-65) for the About Us page of your site and submit for credit.